Tuesday 28 October 2014

The point of university

instagram.com/emmadb

I just read an interview with Lena Dunham in Rookie, and it had this perfect quote about college (university) in it:
Your job is to learn and to become a better version of yourself
It's not original, but it sums up for me the advantage and luxury you have when going to university. You get to learn to be yourself, but with a whole load of safety structures built around you. My brother is currently stressing about where he should apply for, and I keep trying to say that it doesn’t really matter. It’s going to make a massive difference to the rest of your life, but it ways you can’t possibly fathom right now. Choose somewhere and make the most of the opportunities (or don’t). You have SO MUCH TIME at university.

I wanted to write something about how much of a luxury university is. How appalling it is that not everyone gets to go, and how unfair the whole thing is but I can’t because it gets me into a well of despair and I want to go and curl up in a duvet. I can’t do that because I’m not at university and I don’t have the time.

No comments: