Thursday 7 February 2008

Music Wot I Like

Emmy the Great is a singer-songwriter in the vain of what some like to call 'anti folk'. Which for us normal people means a bit like Regina Spektor and The Moldy Peaches. Could there be a more perfect combination?

An angelic voice, an interesting style of phrasing and the odd crudity (not to mention a dash of tweeness) make for some amazing songs, and there's an honest emotional punch to many of her best songs that hangs around with you all day. In particular Easter Parade, Gabriel and M.I.A really work for me.

I predict that after having been on the breakthrough predictions list for the last couple of years, this is the year it will finally happen. She provides backing vocals for the fantastic Lightspeed Champion album, and is about to tour with Get Cape, Wear Cape, Fly.

Essentially, she's amazing and I love her.

No comments: