Tuesday 8 January 2013

The Awful Truth

Last night I went to the BFI to see The Awful Truth, as part of their Screwball season (running till the end of January).


It is brilliant. Hilarious, touching, the base story for many many romcoms since. And Cary Grant becomes 'Cary Grant' in front of your eyes (I love that quote he gave "Everyone wants to be Cary Grant. Even I want to be Cary Grant"). I realised part-way through one nightclub seen that I'd seen it before, realising later last night that of course Cary Grant had been the subject of one of The Hairpin's Scandals of Classic Hollywood series. You should go read that link now.

Also, please go see some more Cary Grant. If you've never seen any, start with His Girl Friday. Among the most perfect films every made.

[admin note]
Emma, you should watch/rewatch:
Bringin Up Baby
Holiday
The Philadelphia Story
Once Upon a Honeymoon
My Favourite Wife
I Was a Male War Bride
Suspicion
To Catch a Thief

That should keep me busy.

No comments: